One of the biggest initiatives of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s administration is the preparation and implementation of multiple government infrastructures for the benefit of the country’s economy. National Economic and Development Authority’s Secretary Arsenio Balisacan announced recently that the agency, which is the country’s socioeconomic planning body chaired by the president, had approved a proposed executive order that includes several high-impact government initiatives that include expediting the processing of several infrastructure flagship projects (IFPs). In this article, we will highlight 10 of the 194 IFPs that will be accelerated by the newly proposed executive order.
10 IFPs That Can Be Expedited by the Proposed EO Approved By NEDA
Balisacan said that the proposed EO is meant to make the processing of IFPs more efficient, and ideally without obstruction when it comes to the approval of licenses, clearances, permits, certifications, and authorizations of all the flagship projects. Below are 10 IPFs that can be expedited by the proposed EO.
1. 2nd San Juanico Bridge Project
Image from Philippine News Agency
An IFP that is still in the pre-project preparation stage, the 2nd San Juanico Bridge is a 7.527 km 2-lane Arch Burgde that will connect the Samar and Leyte Islands. The bridge will consist of a 600 Im arch-type main bridge and 960 Im pre-stressed concrete girders. The project is expected to be completed by 2028.
2. Antique Airport Development Project
Image from Antique Wester Visayas Region VI FB
This IFP is proposed to upgrade the facilities and extend the area of the existing Antique airport to comply with the CAAP MOSA and ICAO Standards set to ensure the safety and security of all planned jet aircraft operations to benefit tourism and trade in the region. The project is expected to be completed beyond the year 2028.
3. Central Mindanao High Standard Construction Project
Image from Metro Cagayan De Oro and Northern Mindanao
And IFP under project preparation, the Central Mindanao High Standard Highway Construction Project is a 65.70 km four-lane new high standard highway that consists of a 258 m high pier and a 500 m steel bridge. The infrastructure project will be constructed in the Municipality of Tagoloan and Cagayan De Oros City and is expected to be completed beyond the year 2028.
4. Ilaguen Multipurpose Irrigation & Hydropower
The 140 m Ilaguen multipurpose high dam is a multipurpose dam that will be constructed for the development of Region II’s irrigation and hydropower systems. The project’s target completion date is still yet to be announced.
5. Light Rail Transit (LRT) 2 Cogeo Extension Project
Image from Business World Online
A project that is currently under preparation, the LRT 2 Cogeo Extension Project, is a 5.2 km extension of LRT 2 Antipolo to Cogeo in Region IV-A. The project is expected to be completed in 2027.
6. Metro Manila Subway Project – Phase 2
Image from the Tunneling Journal
This project is designed to create a northward and southward extension of the ongoing Metro Manila Subway towards Bulacan and Cavite. This project will extend to 40 kilometers both north and southward and will also include a 4-kilometer extension of the Metro Manila Subway Phase 1 that will connect to the LRT Line 1 Asia World Station and the PITX interchange. The project is in its preparation stage and is expected to be completed beyond the year 2028.
7. Mindanao Railway Project Phase 3 (Northern Mindanao)
Image from Metro Cagayan De Oro and Northern Mindanao
A 54.8-kilometer high-capacity, inter-city passenger and railway system that will extend from Cagayan De Oro to the municipalities of Laguindingan, Villanueva, and Misamis Oriental, the Mindanao Railway Project Phase 3 consists of railway stations, cargo terminals, maintenance deposits, and operation control centers in Region X. The project’s target completion date is still yet to be announced.
8. Metro Manila Transit (MRT) Line 5
Image from Wikipedia
Still in its pre-project preparation stage, the MRT Line 5 is a mass transit system that will connect MOA to Makati’s CBD and BGC. The project is expected to be completed beyond the year 2028.
9. Naga Airport Development Project
Image from Bria Homes
A project meant to redesign the existing airport facilities of Naga Airport, this initiative is meant to improve the accommodation of full jet operations to the applicable standards. The Civil Works construction on the site includes airside facilities, runway including shoulders, RESA and runways strip end, taxiway, apron, vehicular parking area, and the access road. The project is expected to be completed beyond the year 2028.
10. Souther Palawan (Brooke’s Point) Airport Development Project
Image from Palawan News
This project is also meant to upgrade the existing facilities of the airport to comply with the CAAP MOSA and ICAO standards. The project is meant to improve the safety, security, and efficiency of the airport. It also includes the concreting of the runway, the construction of the airport apron, and other building facilities. The project is expected to be completed beyond the year 2028.
Infrastructure Flagship Projects For The Development of Local Economy And Tourism
Image from the Official Gazette
The main goal of the IFPs of the current administration is to support the deep economic and social development of the country. These initiatives are also meant to create jobs for the Filipino people and accelerate the decrease of citizens below the poverty line. With the construction and implementation of these IFPs, the achievement of these goals can be realized sooner for the benefit of the entire country.
“The primary goal of this proposed EO is to minimize, if not eliminate, delays in the implementation of IFPs. This EO will require all government offices, agencies, and instrumentalities, including LGUs (local government units), to streamline the standard procedure and requirements for the IFPs,” Balisacan stated in a Palace press briefing.
Once the proposed EO is signed by the president, many IFPs with pending government processing will be accelerated. Currently, the proposed EO is still pending to be checked for technicalities by the Executive Secretary, but the order is more or less likely to be approved soon.
- Banzuelo, N. (2023, September 21). NEDA Board prepares EO to expedite flagship projects. BusinessWorld Online. Retrieved October 11, 2023, from https://www.bworldonline.com/top-stories/2023/09/22/547066/neda-board-prepares-eo-to-expedite-flagship-projects/
- Gonzales, A. L. (2023, September 21). Gov’t to expedite processing of infra flagship projects -NEDA. Philippine News Agency. Retrieved October 11, 2023, from https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1210350
- – National Economic and Development Authority. (n.d.). – National Economic and Development Authority. – National Economic and Development Authority. Retrieved October 11, 2023, from https://neda.gov.ph/infrastructure-flagship-projects/
- NEDA. (2023, September 21). As-Delivered Press Statement of NEDA Secretary Arsenio M. Balisacan on the 9th NEDA Board Meeting – National Economic and Development Authority. NEDA. Retrieved October 11, 2023, from https://neda.gov.ph/as-delivered-press-statement-of-neda-secretary-arsenio-m-balisacan-on-the-9th-neda-board-meeting/
- Philippine Star. (2023, August 24). More infrastructure projects included in flagship list. Philippine Star. Retrieved October 11, 2023, from https://www.philstar.com/business/2023/08/24/2290856/more-infrastructure-projects-included-flagship-list