Hairline cracks are common in newly laid concrete because of plastic shrinkage. These cracks are tiny—about 0.003 inches (0.08mm) in width and can be very shallow—as the name implies.
Humidity commonly causes hairline cracks in walls. Earthquakes can also cause these cracks to appear. The aging of homes can also cause these shifts, requiring long-term maintenance.
Photo Courtesy: Pixabay
Why do walls get cracks?
- Impatience during plasterwork. Patience is sometimes the right approach. One of the most common causes of cracks is adding paint when the cement plaster is not completely cured.
- Contraction and expansion. Because of changes in humidity and temperature, the materials that make up your wall (paint, plaster) compress and expand. This is a problem if the wall is in a room that is air-conditioned regularly or if it faces a lot of the afternoon sun.
- Low-quality paint. Poor paint adhesion on your wall results in cracks over time because of poor quality paint. Applying different paints for each paint application can cause wall cracks. Use a high-quality product and keep your paint consistent.
- Poor paint job. It’s tempting to rush through painting a full house because it’s such an enormous task. However, mistakes such as skipping layers or not allowing earlier layers to dry completely can suffer from your entire efforts. So, take your time and plan.
How to fix hairline cracks?
Photo Courtesy: The Constructor
Fix and conceal hairline cracks by following these steps:
- To begin the repair, use a scraper, screwdriver, or utility knife to create a deeper hairline fracture. This may seem counterproductive. Using this method, you can remove any loose concrete, paint, dirt, or previous filler from the crack before attempting to repair it. Filling the cracks from the inside out will be easier using this technique.
- Fill the crack with filling solution/joint compound after cleaning it. Ensure that the crack is completely filled in.
- Scrape the surface with a scraper and allow the filling to dry for a day before moving on to the next step. Be sure to pay attention to items 3 and 4. Don’t rush things!
- After it has cured, sand the surface to a smooth, even finish.
- Then, apply the paint. Always wait for the first coat to dry completely before applying the second coat if you are applying two coats.
How to conceal them?
Photo Courtesy: Freepik
Now, remember when we said hairline cracks can be concealed? Here’s what we mean.
An excellent time to explore your artistic side is when there are cracks in the wall. There are a few quick remedies for hairline wall cracks:
- Frame it! With photo frames, you can’t go wrong in concealing such flaws. For a polished look, decorate your walls with simple prints displayed in modern frames.
- Wrap with wallpaper. Choose a suitable wallpaper and apply it to the cracked walls. This wallpaper hack may also be a superb décor element in your home, so pick something that matches the interiors of your room.
- Cover it with clocks. Cover a hairline crack on the wall with clocks to hide it. You must properly position the clock so that the weight of such clocks does not intensify the damage.
- Use furniture. You can also hide those wall cracks by rearranging your furniture. Place a bookcase or a rack in front of your cracked walls if you have one.
While hairline cracks are typically DIY projects, enormous cracks on walls are not. If not repaired, these cracks can cause significant damage and even accidents. So, to treat these damages, we recommend consulting with professionals. They are primarily structural issues that need professional help and cannot be concealed by design or decorations.
Ho, P. Y. (2016, July 12). Not All It’s Cracked Up To Be: Cracks on the Wall and What to Do With Them. Nippon Paint. Retrieved January 12, 2022, from https://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/resources/painting-articles/fix-wall-cracks-with-paint/
Saju, N. A. (2020, September 2). How to Fix Hairline Cracks in Walls Without Professional Help. Livspace. Retrieved January 12, 2022, from https://www.livspace.com/in/magazine/fixing-cracks-in-walls/
Farooque, M. (n.d.). How To Fix Cracks In Walls? | 9 DIY Ways To Hide, Camouflage And Fix Hairline Cracks In Walls. Design Cafe. Retrieved January 12, 2022, from https://www.designcafe.com/blog/home-interiors/how-to-fix-cracks-in-walls/